Another Website about Everyday Dining » FoodBlog, What's for Dinner? » What’s for dinner? – July 25, 2011

What’s for dinner? – July 25, 2011

There is still a bounty of beautiful, ripe tomatoes at our house. Large, small, roma, etc., they keep coming! And nobody is complaining! This past week, I made Tomato and Cheddar Pie for dinner one night. It was rich, with layers of sharp cheddar cheese, tomatoes and a mayonnaise/dill filling.  However, I did not make my pie crust from scratch.  I bought the rolled-up pie dough things from where the canned biscuits are at the grocery store – they worked out fine.  It was delicious – hot and bubbly from the oven, a real hit. We had some leftovers and like many casserole-y type dishes, it was almost better heated up the next day.

Yesterday, I ventured into new territory and made Tomato Ice Cream. I think the end result is good and sweet, but I’m not sure everybody would like the slight flavor of tomatoes in their ice cream. The biggest problem with this was the recipe. It calls for softening unflavored gelatin with lemon juice and then adding hot milk to dissolve the gelatin. My experience is that you can not add milk to lemon juice – it basically turns immediately into curds and whey. Well, I followed the recipe and sure enough as soon as the milk hit the lemon juice, it separated. So, I just started over, eliminated the lemon juice and followed the recipe from there. I think it worked out great! Again, maybe not everybody’s cup of tea, but worth the effort …

Tonight, not so sure about dinner. Weather has cooled off just a bit, so maybe just throw some hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill – easy and doesn’t heat up the house. Okay, maybe that’s the trick!

Written by

Filed under: FoodBlog, What's for Dinner?

Leave a Reply