I grew up in Massachusetts, so I’m a Patriots fan (although I don’t like Tom Brady – way too arrogant for my taste). I also have an allegiance to the Redskins based on living in the DC area for 25 years, and some allegiance to the Raiders since I lived in California for a while and one of my favorite pizza pubs is in my brother’s old neighborhood in Oakland. Now, I’m also cheering for the Panthers since I’m here in North Carolina. But my boyfriend grew up in southern New Jersey and is the loudest and most enthusiastic football fan in my life so I’ve become an Eagles fan by default. I have a lot of loyalties.
We’ve had chili many times this season but this version is by far the best. I made some changes to the recipe.
- Didn’t have the cumin and coriander seeds in his kitchen (my kitchen is a different story), so skipped that step and instead added cumin powder along with the chili powder;
- Added a few cloves of garlic to the onion/pepper mix;
- Used one green bell pepper instead of two red;
- Doubled the chipotle pepper;
- Used Sierra Nevada Porter since I had it on hand as my dark beer;
- And topped my bowl with pickled jalapeno in addition to the garnishes listed.
During the game there were many refill trips back to the pot and unanimous consent that the chili was awesome. I think I found a winner.
For more foodie insight and delicious recipes, visit Deirdre’s site at Grabbing the Gusto.